Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Advent reflection

We have started on our Advent Journey. I continue to reflect on what we discussed last Sunday as being prepared and being awake. We really do know what lies ahead but sometimes we allow ourselves to get so sidetracked that we fail to do what we know we are to do. I guess that this came home to me this morning as I went to a Weight Watchers meeting to weigh in. This is a time of year where if we do not spend time remembering who we are we can easily become so complacent and we fail to do the things that we are to do. I had set a goal of a certain weight by Christmas so that I can live a healthier life. Today I achieved that goal because I kept in mind what I needed to do using the skills the group has taught me. It is one thing to have a goal and another to actually work on that goal. Too often we set goals as to what we want to see and then believe it is going to happen without commitment and work.
The same is true about our church. If we want to truly live to our vision of sharing our gifts and growing the faith, we need to set goals as to what would that look like. Much as I set a specific measurable goal we need to begin the process of doing the same. As we do that, it means that we will often encounter times of trial and times of change. I believe that if we want to grow the faith we need to be willing to commit to doing just that for each of us. We were talking in our bible study group the importance of belonging to a small group. History has shown that any growth in the faith has always started as a small group of believers who commit themselves to live as disciples of Christ. Yet, in most churches that are established churches less than 40% of the people belong to some sort of small group. For you the reader are you involved in some small group whether church related or not that involves a commitment to make the world a better place for all people.
I also believe that when we commit ourselves to God's Will change is going to happen. Structures will be changed and the way we have done things in the past will no longer suffice. The question is are we willing to sacrifice my view to focus on God's call. We pray all the time for God's Will be done. Even in the garden Jesus prayed in anquish as to what lay ahead regarding his passion and he asked God if this cup could be passed but he ended it Not my will but Thine Will be done. As we look at the changes that are coming, we need to look at whether our desires are preventing or building the kingdom.

No comments: