Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ideas from this coming Sunday lectionary

This Sunday I will be looking at what has moved our lives in 2008 and what will move our lives in 2009. The Psalm I will be preaching on is from Psalm 148. As I was working with the Psalm I came across the following perspective by Stephen Farris found in Feasting on the Word. I was struck by what he had to say even though I am taking a different tack.
He stated that there are two words that seem to sum up the psalm. One is comprehensive: from angels to creeping things, from shining stars to the frost under our feet, all are to praise the Lord. But the second word is exuberance. The psalm is one great shout of gratitude for the goodness of God and the wonder of creation.
He goes on to state that children receive Christmas gifts from grandparents or uncles and aunts and you can make the child get on the phone and say "Thank you," but a good parent instinctively knows that the words alone are not enough. The thanks are incomplete without gratitude.
The question he proposes for us is how do we show our gratitude to what God has done. Is gratitude something learned by seeing others being gracious, being surrounded by others love, and seeing how others treat one another with concern and care?
Another concern is that for many this is a difficult time of the year and sometimes it is hard to find the voice to lift up praises. Kimberly Clayton states, "Sometimes the word or song of praise gets silenced by a lump in our throat, as though we have swallowed too much grief or sorrow or loneliness to utter a sound. What happens when we ourselves are too sad or too weak to offer praise to God? This psalm exclaims that hopeful, comforting message that we are not isolated or alone in our vocation of praise. From start to finish, Psalm 148 places us within a vast, diverse universe where continual praise is being offered to God: Angels and stars, fire and frost, wild and domesticated animals, men and women, young and old, wealthy and poor... join in the terrestrial/celestial symphony of praise. So when our own song or spirit is silenced, praise still fills the space all around us."
I know that for me, I need to remember that God is present whether or not I am present to God. It is hopeful and helpful to remember all that God has done and continues to do in my life. Much like a child needing to remember to be grateful and thankful, so do I and so do you.
I would also like to let people know that starting Sunday I will be offering a reflection on scriptural verses every day for the next year. My desire is to do this daily. In our church, our leaders of the various committees will receive a devotional book and calendar that they will hopefully use in their committee meetings and in their lives. I will be using the calendar "Journeying Through the Days" from the Upper Room. I would like to have those who read this blog to share their insights to the various scriptures that are discussed. We can learn so much from one another. As I can I will try to comment if desired to those who write back. We are on a journey together and can support one another in our coming and going.
God Bless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you are saying God is with always?
I know I have heard this before. I am from outside of Springfield, and had a pastor who spoke of this often. I believe that giving thanks to God is easier when you have nothing. Last year my son was involved with a Christmas gift from the "giving tree at Wal-Mart. His Sunday school class raised money to buy this family everything they wanted for Christmas.
They were able to actually deliver the gifts to the family. Upon arriving in the home my son noticed flat screen TV's and a Playstation 3 and lots of expensive things in the home. This was our second Christmas that our situation had not allowed us the opportunity to give our sons much for Christmas. We explained that just like them,even though the parents couldn't get the children items, they might have grandparents and friends buying then gifts. These two years of hardship taught our sons the true meaning of Christmas in a way that is hard to voice.
Grace and gratitude walk hand in hand. Praise God!

Joan's Good Life said...

I am so glad to hear that you'll be doing something on a daily basis! I look forward to having a better understanding of Scripture through reading and discussion with others.

Also like your new header!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps some of your son's confusion was in "what we want for Christmas". I agree that people with little often are happier during the Christmas season. It seems that often they understand the amazing gift of salvation that was given freely to all of us. It is through this understanding that we start to see that a Christmas filled with "everything we want" can lead to an empty feeling if part of what we want does not include a closer relationship to God.

Reveldon said...

I would also agree that sometimes when we focus so much on what we own we forget to be thankful for what God gives to us.
I had a friend of mine who was a missionary in Africa in some of the poorest areas. He often spoke that he was amazed at how generous people were who had very little as far as possessions and even food. They made sure that they would extend hospitality to strangers even when they had little.
I believe that we need to remember especially when we are blessed to thank God for what we have and to also share what we can with those around us.
One thing that your son may learn is that family is more than flat screen TVs, PS3's and the like. I would hope that as you take time to spend time with your children you convey what is important in your life. That will be more meaningful as they grow as responsible Christian adults.