Saturday, September 26, 2009

Amazing Grace

I have just played Mario Super Party with my grand children and needless to say they won hands down. It is so nice to be able to take time and be a child once again. Nancy and I spent time with the oldest by herself and tonight have all three girls. While shopping with the oldest at the bookstore, wouldn't you know it I came across a reflection (actually two reflections) by Henri Nowen on the Prodigal Son. I read some of it and wished that I had read it earlier as there are some ideas that he expressed that would have helped share the sermon I am doing tomorrow.

The one insight that I wanted to share was the idea that we are to not just identify with the two sons but also with the father. That is not only for us to be forgiven but also to forgive. To not only be welcomed home but be the one welcoming home. He stated that the church tends to want to remain the dependent child on the distant heavenly father and not try to emulate the father's love and grace. Somehow that may still make it in my sermon. I may hold onto it for another time as I read the books completely.

No comments: