Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Priority of Love


Last Sunday I began to do a sermon series on Priorities and what Jesus would see what priorities we should be concerned about. I will be using some of the parables that Jesus used to teach those around him about what is important. Some of the ideas come from a book entitled, Jesus' Parables about Priorities by James W Moore. Where the book contains some of the seeds of the ideas, most of what I reflect on came from several experiences in the past few months. I had completed a sermon series on families and the issues that they face and out of that came the concern about setting goals, vision and priorities and standing by them. Recently I finished a series on the Bread of Life based on John chapter 6.

With those experiences and some good and bad experiences in my life, I realized how important it is to remain focused on what is important. I see that in those who weather difficult times they have a foundation that they turn to and depend on to see them through. It does not mean they never get discouraged, but somehow when they have their priorities straight they are more able to see the difficult times through. I know that is the case with myself. When I am distracted, stressed, not doing my spiritual disciplines, I find myself having difficulties dealing with the negative times.

The first priority is that of Love. The parable that James Moore used was the Prodigal Son Luke 15:11-32. Actually it is a story of 2 sons and a father which talks about three different types of love. The younger son originally is into the love of experience and immediacy. Everything revolves around his needs and wants. He does not concern himself with others. In psychological jargon, he is narcissistic. The older son is legalistic and has no room to forgive those who do not think or act like he does. His love is based on doing for others with the expectation that others will reward him. The father demonstrates a love that transcends selfish needs and does not demand that others be like him. His love is unconditional. We are called to model this third type of love.

No comments: