Wednesday, September 2, 2009

wednesday

Thought I would share this.

Serving Strong eNews
A Tuesday morning minute just for you because you care for others.
A Wimpy Wiper
Wimpy Wiper
It happened again. It was raining. I was driving. I looked in my rearview mirror to my back window and there it was...again. That wimpy windshield wiper. It only wipes half of what it's supposed to. I can't see as well this way. When it's not raining, I don't think about it. Never crosses my mind. But when it rains and I look back and remember. "Oh yeah. I need to change that wiper."

When it's not raining, I don't think about it.

When it rains, I think about it.

I suppose this is a metaphor for how I am in life. When everything seems to be going good, I don't feel the pressure to stay balanced and healthy. I just drift. I take it easy. I let life just happen. But when I start to get tired, irritable, or overwhelmed then I start thinking about self care.

How many of you have ever gotten pneumonia and began wondering how you could have ever gotten sick in the first place, wondering, "have I been working too hard?"or "have I been eating right?" The sickness serves as a wake up call to the lack of habitual balance.

SMALL WEAVES
It's a challenge to remember to take care of the vessel when life is clicking along. Perhaps there are small threads we can weave into these times to ensure we are serving strong all the time. Here are a couple ideas to get your thinking started:

- Eat 1 piece of fruit each day.
- Stretch first thing in the morning.
- Take 5 minutes of rest for every 60 minutes of work.
- Drink 8 glasses of water each day.
- .....

Taking care of ourselves is best when we weave it into the fabric of our journey. Well, the sun is shining now. I think I'll go to AutoZone and pick up a new windshield wiper before the next rain.

I'll "see" you right here next week.

No comments: