Friday, February 6, 2009

Another nightly reflection

I cannot believe that another day went by without my updating my blog.  I was so caught up in getting caught up that I found myself not doing anything until now.  Friday's are usually my day of rest though today has been one on many tasks.  I met with my district superintendent and spent some time at an art show of 9 women artists.  Nancy and I enjoyed that time and it was helpful to spend time together and to appreciate the talents of these women artists.

I also have been spending time reading my new bible.  I had ordered the Wesley Study Bible.  I have to say it is well written.  Not only does it have study notes on the scripture, but it also has notes on life application and Wesleyan core terms.  It adds an unique view of the scriptures and makes use of applications in living a more connectional life.  I wanted to share with you one of the entries and may continue to do so in the future.

This is a Wesleyan Core Term on Evil speaking that came from his notes on Psalm 34.13.  "Wesley defines evil speaking in his notes on Ps 34.13 as that which in injurious, false, and deceitful.  In particular, evil speaking is the relating of a faulty of an absent person to others, even if the fault is real.  Sinful pride often motivates this vicious activity, and talebearers often feel entitled to repeat the sins of others because they mistakenly believe they are being godly in doing so.  In order to avoid this harmful practice, believers must carefully follow the counsel of Christ (Matt 18.15-17) in three steps: (1) point out the fault to the persons privately; (2) if they still will not listen, bring along one or two others as witnesses; (3) if they remain stubborn, then, and only then, tell it to the church.  And if they will not listen even to the church, then treat them as the sinners they are and remain."

Somehow when I first got the bible, this was the first page that I turned to.  I got to thinking how often people spread gossip, rumors, and even concerns not directly to the people involved but involve others to the detriment of the church.  When this happens too often it destroys the church as no one trusts one another.  Sometimes even if the people feel justified in their complaints or grievances people have difficulty in doing what Jesus stated.  I know that sometimes one may be afraid or don't want to offend but in telling others we do more harm and actually cause more disruption and even sin by breaking our relationship with one another.  That is why gossip, half-truths, and the unwillingness of being willing to confront one another in love destroys church.
I know that I needed to read this once again and to be willing to face those to whom I feel I need to confront about what is happening directly.  So I ask God to guide me in ways of not being critical of another person without first talking to that person directly.

No comments: