Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday


I have just finished our Ash Wednesday services. I was pleased that we had so many show up and I look forward to our journey together in this season of Lent. I am pleased that as a community of disciples we take the time to re-member what Jesus has done for us and to support one another in this sacred time.

I was asked about whether or not the United Methodist Church celebrated Ash Wednesday all the time or was it just something recent. John Wesley would have celebrated Ash Wednesday as part of the Church of England. The tradition goes back to the early church and has continued to the present. The service is included in our Book of Worship though not all churches celebrate this beginning of Lent. So it is not unusual for some people not to have gone to services on Wednesday much like in some churches there is no services during Holy Week or Passion Week. I remember the first Ash Wednesday service that I did as a student pastor that some of the members of the congregation were concerned that it was too liturgical reminding them of the Roman Catholic Church. I believe in liturgy and I believe that certain rituals are important in our disciple journeys. So I will continue to offer the service and I am not concerned if people find it too catholic. In fact there are many services that I find helpful in my journey that are directly from the Roman Catholic tradition.

This Lent I feel called to emphasize our growing as a disciple. That is why I will be preaching on spiritual disciplines. I know that I need to continue to grow and as I talk to people I recognize a similar desire to grow in them. Not everyone will be willing to grow in the same way. We are all own a journey that is individual and communal. Some are working to mature their faith, some have matured their faith, and some are still in their infancy of faith. It makes do difference where one is but what does make a difference is the willingness to continue the journey. I celebrate all who are willing to make the journey and will do what I can to help those who desire to grow as I look forward to those who would help me.

No comments: