Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Touching the untouchable

As I was reading the gospel for this Sunday, it comes from Mark 1:40-45. What struck me most about this lectionary reading was the following verses:
"A leper came to him begging him, and kneeling" he said to him, "If you choose, you can make me clean." Moved with pity Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, "I do choose. Be made clean!" Immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean. (Mark 1:40-42 NRSV)

Sometimes what we may miss is exactly what Jesus did. To touch someone with a skin disease according to the Torah would make that person unclean like the one who has leprosy. Even for the one who was ill to come to Jesus was forbidden. Often those who were sick had to announce their illness long before anyone approached them so that they would not contaminate others. They were isolated from their families, their friends, and even could not participate in their religion. This person had faith and trust in Jesus knowing that in him he could be healed. The other part of these verses is that Jesus did not need to touch him for the healing to take place. Jesus was moved and reached out to someone in need without regard to violating the taboo.

I have found in my life that there are many seeking Jesus for healing. Sometimes it is difficult to know when to reach out and to offer a healing hand to someone. As a therapist, I was very much aware of the power of a touch to either heal or harm. There were times holding someone's hand as they opened up to the intense feelings they were having or holding someone in midst of grief is a powerful connection. For Jesus to touch someone who was untouchable, demonstrated the power of acknowledging the person there before him. To touch him, one could no longer walk by and deny his need. He or she becomes a person not a condition or someone who is not quite a person.

I know that there are times in my ministry that I am called to reach out to the untouchables that somehow society has marginalized. When I was in seminary, I would do work with a church in the inner city. There were many times that I would sit on the curb with someone who was homeless, battling addictions, who was struggling with their faith. I would not only pray with them but also take the time to listen. And when they were ready to offer healing advice.
We are called to reach out to the marginalized and the untouchables in our communities. We can only do this if we have faith and trust in Jesus Christ and in our merciful God.

No comments: