Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesday night reflection

I have just returned to my motel room after spending 13 hours with those who are seeking ordination as an elder.  This discernment process is intense and at the same time edifying.  What I find interesting as being part of the credentialing committee is that it gives me time to reflect on my own theology and ways that I practice my ministry.  As I was ordained just a short time ago, I was reviewing the answers that I gave both for my commissioning and for my seeking ordination.  I always find it interesting that changes that have occurred in my theology over time. In many ways the basic foundation has not changed but has become more refined.  I believe that we all are theologians.  Sometimes people will not claim that.  But if we have a belief in God and Jesus Christ than we are a theologian.  Also by claiming our theology (belief about God), we are more able to share that with others.

As a result of looking at others theological statements and reviewing my own, I wanted to share where I am today with some of the doctrinal questions that are asked.  I wanted to start with the Lordship of Jesus Christ.  I stated in 2006 that I thought that the concept of Lordship was archaic and maybe of limited value today.  Since that time I have reflected on that concept and even though I would not describe my Savior in the terms of Lord, I do believe that Jesus is instrumental in my salvation and I seek to be a disciple of Christ bowing before him.  In the Disciplines Journaling through the Days for Monday, quoted from Isaiah 40:25-26. "To whom can God be compared?  Is there anyone else like Him?  Look up at the sky!  Who created the stars you see?"  God is instrumental in all that we see, all that we experience, all that we relate too, and in all of creation.  He is Lord of all.

Also in the men's small group that I belong to, we are beginning to study Galatians.  One of the members emailed me from the first chapter a verse that spoke to him.  As I read it, I found that it was informative for myself as well especially in dealing with the issue of Lordship.  Galatians 1:10, "Am I now trying to win human approval, or God's approval?  Or am I trying to please people?  If I were still trying to please people, I would not be servant of Christ (TNIV)."  These are the questions that I need to remember.  I am not in ministry to please others but only to do what God directs.  If I submit my life to God as Lord, I am willing to do His Will.  It is a part of to whom is my master, the world or God.  As Joshua stated, choose this day whom you will serve, but for me and my family I will serve God.  How would you answer this question?

No comments: