Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Commitment, Choices, and Community

Last Sunday I reflected on what is it that I am committed and what is it that forms the foundation that I try to live by. I was talking with other pastors this afternoon and we decided that we are definitely weird. At least weird according to the standards of the world around us. I am not saying that I don't enjoy nice things, the latest technology, new cars and gadgets. I do enjoy them but they really are not what moves me. So if I don't have the latest and greatest whatever, somehow I will live. Maybe as I continue to pray about living a more simple life that will help with this change of attitudes.

What we came to the conclusion was that we rather be concerned about what will move us. To a person it was God's Will expressed through scripture and the Holy Spirit. I find it interesting that the group that I attend as a covenant group contains mostly fundamental believers with myself and another pastor being the more progressive Christians. Despite the differences with theology and beliefs, we have found some essentials that we all agree on. For the non-essentials whether or not important to each of us, we can respect the diversity of each of us.

One of the many debates we have is what are some of the essentials. I fall back on the Methodist roots as found in much of what John Wesley wrote. I look to that source as helpful in understanding where we are at in our society. For me scripture is primary and outweighs tradition, experience, and reason. Those three are helpful in understanding and applying scripture in my daily life. I still make the choose to follow scripture. One reason I believe we can never study the bible enough. Every time I open the book and read even the familiar passages something new will come out. I never grow tired of reading. So when it comes to what am I willing to commit myself to, I will find that in the scripture I read and the choices that I make. For me, it is through Jesus Christ I find my salvation.

I also believe strongly in community. We are better if we exist in communal relationships rather than depend so strongly on the illusion of individuality. As I look at the problems that we face in our nation, I see that much of that falls from the insistence of entitlement many people feel and demand. Our national value is individuality which most want to have the government take care of them without regard of others. I have always felt that individual rights have been so emphasized that societal rights are diminished. One of the reasons that our society has a great problem looking beyond one's own needs to look at what might be best for the nation at large.

The church needs to examine how we can provide an alternative to this me first society. Tonight I spoke on the One Month to Live about legacy. I hope that the legacy that I can leave would be that as imperfect as I am that I reached out to another person and shared with them what they needed for daily bread and for God's love.

No comments: