Thursday, February 19, 2009

live as if you were dying

I am not much of fan of country music.  So it is with great apology I have to own up to a song by Tim McGraw that I heard at a leadership conference that I attended.  I had been doing a series of reflections on the book "One Month to Live."  The focus was how would we live our lives differently if we knew we had only one month to live.  The song that Tim McGraw sang was "Live as if you were dying."  Apparently it came out over a year ago.  One can find it on youtube and also itunes. 

The chorus talks about going skydiving, rocky mountain climbing, ride a bull for 2.7 seconds named Fu Manchu.  I would love deeper, speak sweeter, and forgive what I had been denying or something like that.  Watch the video or listen to the song.  He also mentions about reading "the Good Book."

What spoke to me about this was how it seemed to sum up my reflections.  I began to think about  how I could love deeper, be willing to speak softly and without so much bitterness, and find ways to forgive not only others but also myself.  I think about all the time that I have spent carrying my anger, my hurts and never letting them go.  I would hate to go to my grave without trying to do something about them.

No comments: