Friday, February 13, 2009

On what does one stand on

There is a famous old hymn that generally is loved by many traditional congregations called Standing on the Promises.  I was struck by that as I was reading in both the bible study and One Month to Live about what do we hold onto during times of trials.  In One Month to Live, the authors were talking about sand castles.  I remember times that I would go to the beaches on either the Atlantic or Pacific coasts when I was younger.  I would spend time building sand castles.  Nothing quite as elaborate as some sand sculptures but I still enjoyed doing it.  The first time that the tide changed and the water came up to and over my creation, there was a moment of sadness as a child only knows.  Yet there is something about the tides of our lives the ebb and flow.  Where change comes and life begins anew.  Much like building sand castles knowing that the tide will soon come in and wash the castle away.  Yet we are called to continue to build sand castles in our lives.  What we have to learn is not to worship sand castles and make them the promises that we stand on.

I often reflect on what is important in my life.  I know that fame, fortune, being famous can come and go like the tide.  I find that the most important things in my life are my relationships with God and others.  What I need to remember is to take time with those things that are important and not spend all my energy, all my time, and all my effort on what amounts to being sand castles.  While there are times and efforts that I can choose to do regarding earning a living and enjoying what that can bring but to spend more time of that and less on the relationships that are important in my life will often leave my feeling like something is missing.

As I approach Lent, rather than give something up, I plan to take a look at the way I spend my time, effort, and life.  I want to be more intentional in the relationships that the tide will not take away.  Only I can take them away.  If I say, I believe my relationship with God is important I need to spend time in honoring that relationship.  If I say family is important, then I need to take time to be with them.

What might you depend on in your life?  What promises do you hold to and do you actually live that life?

No comments: