Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I had once before printed an email that I get for serving strong. Today's email was something that I wanted to share so here it is.
Serving Strong eNews
A Tuesday morning minute just for you because you care for others.
Ever Bark At Someone?
ropeA friend or colleague says something to you. Youbark back in anger. It surprises them. It surprises you. Your reaction was way out of proportion. It was unnecessary. You didn't mean it. It just came out.
Ever been there? I have. It's embarrassing. It leads to an awkward apology. Not a fun place to be.
As I reflect back on my experiences in these situations, I can think of one common ingredient present in every case: I was on my last nerve. How did I get there? Why did I let myself reach such a deficiency in my reserves?
EMOTIONAL BANK ACCOUNT
I allowed my emotional bank account to get dangerously low. I gave and gave and gave of myself without taking in proper rest and recreation. I used up my reserves without replenishing the supply. Interesting. I don't do this with the gas in my car. I keep it fueled for service. But I have been guilty of assuming I am an infinite wellspring of energy and resource. Guess what: I'm not. Neither are you. So, how do we keep the account full enough to handle the stress of people-helping? Here are 3 things you can do this week:
1) DISENGAGE. Do an activity not related to the work you do in serving others. For me, it involves playing the guitar, fly fishing, doing yard work. Whatever is outside the confines of people-helping, build in a healthy dose of it on a regular basis.
2) LEAN INTO COMMUNITY. Learn the fine art of conversation with a friend. Take the conversation slow. Sip your coffee. Learn what brings them joy. Listen fully. Lean into their life with no attempt at fixing anything for them.
3) REST. It may be an overused topic, but one worth mentioning again. You need sleep. You need the kind of rest where your body truly unwinds and gains physical replenishment. If you have trouble sleeping, consider getting help from a professional.
Keep your emotional bank account high. Take it from me - no one likes to be barkedat.
I'll "see" you right here next week.
Don't know about you but there have been many times that I have found myself in a similar situation. Hope this gives you some ideas about what one can do before you come to the end of your rope or the rope breaks.
Eldon

No comments: