Friday, March 27, 2009

It's Friday of what has been quite the week. Between visits to hospitals and dealing with the after effects of last weekend, time had a way of getting away. Sometimes when one is discouraged we need those opportunities to remember that we are a family and a loving community. I received a comment which readers can see about what it means to be a family especially to those who are in school or serving our country. Thank you for helping me to remember that no matter what events may discourage and dishearten us, we are in ministry and serving not only our adults but reaching out to others. I have also been deliberately praying for the individuals who came into our church as I hope others have also.

I am going to talk about call this Sunday and that we are all called to ministry. It is not the whole responsibility of the ordained clergy to do all the ministry. We are all ministers. Sometimes one can wonder whether or not God is calling them to do something or to say something. I have had people wonder if what they are feeling is coming from God or from their own ego or some dark place. I respond to them and to myself by stating is what I am hearing compatible with scripture and with the tradition that I ascribe to. I also keep in mind that I believe God wants us to build each other up in love. That does not mean we do not hold each other accountable but it means that we need to allow God to work in relationship and not determine that it is up to us to fix people or to save them. We cannot do that only God can. So if I feel that God is saying something to me about someone else, I first look to myself to determine if maybe what is being said is more towards me. Then I pray for God to direct me. If I am approaching someone in regards to accountability, I need to do this in love and with the idea of not just criticizing them. I will ask if they want to hear what I have to say and then I also need to have some ideas of what is the alternative. Too often people are easy to criticize but offer little in ways of changing. Than is not building up disciples but destroying them.

Call is like that also. We are so gifted by our Creator. We are to use those gifts of time, talent, and treasure to build the kingdom not ourselves. The question I have to ask myself is how am I using the gifts that God has given me to glorify God. How about you?

No comments: