Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I wanted to write about what I had read in my devotion today. This comes for Disciplines for today based on the scripture Genesis 17:5-7, 15-16. The writer is Curtis Ackley. This scripture is about the renaming of Abram and Sarai. The author talks about how important it is to embrace a name. How we name something gives that meaning and purpose. "God claims us: I have called you by name, you are mine. (Isa 43.1). We claim the best in children when we shape them by naming their good qualities and behaviors. We claim parts of ourselves that we want and own by naming them. There is real power in saying, 'I am competent and caring,' instead of using negative words like, 'I am simply no good at this, and I can't do it!'

Might a Lenten discipline emerge for you from this line of thinking/ What is your most positive aspiration for yourself? If you could select a name for yourself what would it be? Can you imagine being called that name by God?"

What struck me about this devotional thought was how many times we do not claim our gifts and strengths that God has given us. Sometimes it borders on false modesty which can be as destructive as being self exalting. If you feel you are a failure, would that be what you believe God would call you? Or rather does God see the purpose that lies within all of us and calls out to us to claim and use those gifts? This Lent as we travel the season maybe it is time to humbly use what God has given us to do God's will.

No comments: