Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Tonight we met for our communion service as we continued to talk about the seven days during Holy Week. I often am touched by the people who gather and share with one another. I am also amazed at the ways that spirit touches us. There has been such a commotion in the news about AIG and the ways that they took advantage of others and their mismanagement of their company and awarding their staff with bonuses that came from the bailout. I marvel as to how any one would be willing to do that and believe that it was OK. As we reflected on the scripture from Mark 14:3-11 about the woman anointing Jesus and Judas betraying Jesus the contrast of what one can do with money.

What is happening today is similar to what happened with Enron and others in 2001. We did not learn anything about our immorality, greed, and lack of concern for those who place their trust in their corporations. The same is true with these banks that are failing. As liberal as I am, there is a point where maybe these banks needed to fail rather than be awarded money for their incompetence. Though lest I be the first to cast stones, I know that in my life how difficult it is for me at times with the way I treat money. I guess that is why Jesus had more to say about money and the attitudes we have towards it than almost anything else.

So as upset as I get when I see such corruption I need to look to myself and to ask God for help in my struggles. I pray for God to hold my accountable for my sins as I learn to forgive others. At the same time others also need to be accountable and I pray that God will guide them to being willing to allow Him into their lives.

No comments: