Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Baptismal vows

Today is Epiphany when the wise men journeyed seeking Jesus. This coming Sunday is a day when the church remembers the baptism of Jesus. As I was reflecting on this, I recalled my own decision to be baptized. In the United Methodist tradition, we encourage the baptism of infants and later they will take on their vows after confirmation. I grew up in the Christian Church, Disciples of Christ whose tradition was a believers baptism of immersion. I was 15 when I completed my pastor's course and decided to be baptized. Rather than debate which form of baptism is best or at what age, I recall the promises that I made at that time. Promises similar as to what our confirmands when they decide to join the church. I believe that it is important to remember those promises we make and do what we can to uphold them.

The scripture for today is from Mark 1:4, "John the Baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. NRSV"

When I read this verse this morning, several thoughts went through my mind. The first was how have I lived to the promises that I made not only as a teenager but also as an adult when I joined the Methodist Church. For those who are not Methodists, the promises that every member makes is that they will faithfully participate in the ministries of the church by prayer, presence, gifts, service and witness. We are called to do all of these not just one or two but all five. In my reflections, I began to wonder if I were to be given a grade as to how faithfully I was doing all five what would I get. I would hope that I would get a passing grade if not an above average grade. I hope that I would be doing these promises not just because they are my priestly duties or obligations but are done out of my continuing joy of God.
I find it interesting that I would probably do very well on most of the promises and maybe can improve on a couple. One is witnessing beyond the sermon or bible study. And I mean witnessing like John the Baptist did calling people to repentance for the forgiveness of sins. I would guess that many of us would have some struggles in witnessing in that way. Yet, we are called to do so. We can do so through our willingness to share the good news of Jesus Christ.
Regardless of one's religious background, what grade would you give yourself regarding being faithful in your participation of ministries of your church, temple, synagogue? What a wonder it would be if everyone would spend more time in prayer, more time in participating in their community of faith, more time to sharing the gifts that we have been blessed, more time in service to others, and to witness to all that God has done.

No comments: