Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Proverbs 27

One of the ways I try to spend time in the word is by listening to two pod casts from DailyAudioBible.com. The one is going through the bible in one year and the other is the daily proverb. As there are 31 chapters in Proverbs, each day covers one of the proverbs. Today being the 27th I listened to Proverbs 27.
Several of the verses speak to the value of friends who will be honest. I have a bible called the "Inspirational Bible" that is edited by Max Lucado. Regarding Proverb 27, he states that we can benefit from a close friend in our Christian life. Find a friend who will share your deepest concerns. Share together over lunch and commit to helping one another. He further states that wise friends facilitate growth. We should strive to be a wise friend and help others to grow. I found as I was reading this how important it is to have a group of friends who will be honest with one another. I am blessed that I have friends who are wise and willing to "correct me openly than to have love and not show it (Prov. 27.5)" The proverb also warns about making more of ourselves than what we are. Paul reminds us not to think to highly of ourselves. One blessing of friendship can be keeping me honest.
Another verse is "As iron sharpens iron, so people can improve each other (v. 17)" As I prepare for our Wednesday service based on "One Month to Live", the topic is loving completely. Friendship can be that type of love if we would take the time and spend the time to be with our friends. Is there someone that you need to call or go see today or tomorrow? Now is the time to do so. For in the doing, we become blessed.

No comments: