Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday reflection

I must confess that the last couple of days I have been either so busy or maybe so distracted that I have not blogged daily. I am getting back on track. Sunday we spent time in church wondering about the vows that we take in baptism or confirmation and how have we lived to those vows. I had several people later talk to me about how important it was for them to remember the promises that we make to God and to each other. We celebrated our baptism by remembering our vows together.
What made this meaningful for me is that I grew up in a different denomination that United Methodist. My baptism occurred when I was 15 so I did not have parents take on those vows for me. While I believe in infant baptism as a perfect example of God's unmerited grace, there is something to be said about believer baptism. I also believe that the amount of water or the way we baptize has more to do with us than with God. It is God's grace that extends to us baptized or not. The act is just an outward sign of God's grace already existing in us.
This leads me to reflecting on one of the scriptures for next Sunday which is Psalm 139. In my devotion for today the verses come from Psalm 139:1, 4.
"Lord you have examined me and you know me...Even before I speak, you already know what I will say."
In my sermon Sunday, I talked about what grade would we give ourselves for what we have done regarding our promises. I also stated I wonder what grade would God give us. When I read this Psalm and these verses, I know that no where can I go that God is not already there and that God knows me completely. God has examined me. I cannot lie to God or try to make promises that I know that I will not keep. I don't even need to try to make a case for myself for God knows. I don't need to prove myself to God. The good news is that even though God knows all about us, God still extends mercy and love and grace.
My sermon title for next Sunday is We are known by God but do we know God? How would we do know God? I don't mean know what God thinks or the mind of God as that is not possible in our present state. As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13, I see but a blurred image but there will come a day when I will see clearly. I would ask readers to reflect on how do you know God and how has that changed your thinking and doing.
May God be with us all this day and this week.

No comments: