Sunday, January 4, 2009

Let your light shine

I wanted to write down some of what spoke to me about this Epiphany Sunday. The scriptures came from Isaiah 60:1-6 and Matthew 2:1-12. As I talked about, I was moved by an epiphany that I had in reading the scriptures. The prophet spoke that we should arise and seek the light of the Lord which surrounds us. I would have loved to play Michael W. Smith's "New Hallelujah." The chorus of the song says, "Arise, let the church arise/ Let Love each to the other side/ Alive, come alive/ Let the song arise." I believe that 2009 is a time to arise and become committed to what God is calling us to. I feel that God is the God of now and calls to us now. God did not quit at creation, with the Israelites, with Jesus, He is present with us now. We are the light, whether reflected light or spirit led light, that will attract or detract from God.
I believe in small groups that build committed disciples. As I felt about the wise persons who sought the new creation that God radically proposed in Jesus, we too need to seek God's continued glory that surrounds us. We do that by studying scriptures, prayer, putting our faith in action, spending time with other committed disciples, celebrating and praising, and keeping open to whatever new creation that God leads us.
God believes in change and calls us to continue to grow as a disciple. We never stop growing. So as the prophet says, "Get out of bed, Jerusalem! Wake up. Put your face in the sunlight. God's bright glory has risen for you. The whole earth is wrapped in darkness, all people sunk in deep darkness, but God rises on you, his sunrise glory breaks over you. Nations will come to your light, kings to your sunburst brightness. Isa 60:1-4 The Message."
So wake up, seek God's bright glory, and shine.

No comments: