Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Obama

Having been on the road to go to our clergy conference, I was not able to watch the inauguration of our new president.  I was sorry that I was not able to hear first hand what he discussed.  My prayer is that he is somehow able to bring together in some fashion our country that has been polarized by political factions.  My fear is that some many people are looking at President Obama to magically right an economy that has been ransacked for many years.  We have had a history of not wanting to be accountable about what we have spent on pork projects from both sides of the aisle.  We have lived in a world that buy it now and pay later has become a mantra that is not only found in families but also in our government.  What is interesting you find that in both parties.  To believe that one man is going to somehow change the very culture of our system seems to me to be unrealistic.  At the same time, he has brought a fresh hope to government and maybe to our nation that may at least awaken us as citizens of this nation to be more accountable and to hold our representatives more accountable.
I believe that this moment in history portends great possibilities that even 20 years ago would never have happened.  So I put aside my cynical thoughts and do pray for President Obama to have the strength and the courage and the integrity to act on his vision.  Much like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., maybe there is a dream that God can instill in all of us to find the common ground to which we can all stand.  Not to tear down others which just let us avoid responsibility to build up.  So join me in praying not only for our president but also our leaders in congress, that the days of partisan politics and divisiveness just for the sake of being divisive is over.  That we can disagree but respect one another and work to the common good.  That is my prayer.  Amen or so be it.

No comments: