Friday, January 2, 2009

Being a shepherd

Here I am writing on the second day of the New Year. This morning started off maybe not on such a good note. I had to weigh in at Weight Watchers and I knew that it was not going to be what I wanted and I was right. This past week with the children and grandchildren I was not consistent with my weight plan. No one to blame but myself. So today I am back on track and ready to go.
I received a sad note that one of the people that I had confirmed in Paxton mother passed away. She had been diagnosed with ALS when she was pregnant and was not expected to live for more than 4-5 years. Her daughter is 16 before she finally went home to the Lord. No matter how much one can know that our life is mortal and no matter knowing how ill someone is, one is never ready to let go. Knowing that this has happened to many people during this time of year I would ask that any who read this please take time to keep in prayer those who have had loved ones die. Ask that the light of the Lord be with them, surround them, comfort them. God hold them close that they can feel your touch and offer them solace for their grief.

The verse for today comes from Jeremiah 31:10, "Hear the word of the Lord, O nations; proclaim it in distant coast lands. 'He who scattered Israel will gather them and will watch over his flock like a shepherd.'"

Today the image of a shepherd watching over their flock may be anachronistic to most of us. Today in the place of free range ranching we have barb wire, feed lots, and even corrals that keep the livestock confined and often keep the predators out. The idea of the shepherd sleeping outside near his or her flock is unusual. Though ranchers are concerned about protecting their animals so that they can grow and develop. Yet, in scripture the use of the image of shepherds is a common image. One where the shepherd is present near the animals to care and protect them.
I want to share a more modern image. When I was in seminary in Kansas City, I spent Mondays doing volunteer work at Broadway Christian Church in the downtown area. Where the church was located, there were a number of people homeless, drug addicts, prostitutes, and many who were one pay check away from being homeless. The church had started a Micah Project where they would offer a meal for anyone who wanted one, counseling to help with ending domestic violence or to end their life as a prostitute, had a clothes pantry for families, and offer support in whatever the workers could do. What was unique about the program was that it was not a soup line, but the people would come and sit at tables and be waited on. For the two years that I was involved in the program there never was any serious problems with violence though the number of murders in that area was high.
I remember on one of the first few nights that I was there, a man came in for a meal. He was about 6 and half feet tall and weighed probably 250. His hair was unkempt, his clothes were filthy, his body smelled from cigarettes and alcohol. For many he would be frightening to even speak to let alone sit beside. I ended up sitting beside him and had the opportunity to get to know him. I found out from him and from others who knew him that he lived on the street and that he was trying to stop his use of alcohol. The first night that I met him, he asked if he could take a plate of food with him. Normally we could not allow that because of the health department. What we did was make a sandwich and brown bag so that it was wrapped. It was winter and the temperature outside was to be below 20. I asked him what he was going to do with the food and he told me that he was aware of a new person, young who was living on the streets. He had tried to get the young man to come to the church but he refused. This young man had no coat, no blanket, and no food. He had taken his blanket and gave it to the young man and had given him his coat so that he wouldn't freeze. He felt that since he had lived on the street for such a long period of time, he had an obligation to help those who were not able to care for themselves. So he was going to give the person food, warmth, and what little shelter there could be on the streets. Needless to say before he left, we got him a new coat and a new blanket. He was moved that we would care to do this when we did not even have to take the time or effort.
There was something about him that still guides me today. He was a modern shepherd caring for those who were vulnerable. He also told me that when someone dies on the street, one will never hear about it. There is no obituary, often no service, the body is taken to some "potters field" with no one but the others on the street to mourn over them. We made it a point to remember those who had died on the streets of Kansas City and to conduct a memorial service for them.
Who are your shepherds? And who are you shepherding?

No comments: