Saturday, January 17, 2009

Known by God

Tomorrow I will be preaching on two texts 1 Samuel 3:1-10 and Psalm 139: 1-6, 13-18. As I have had to time to reflect there have been many occasions this week to spend time on the very first verse of the Psalm. "O Lord, you have searched me and known me." Wow God has searched me and knows me. Without going into the sermon proper, what an awesome thought that God even takes time to know me. In one of the resources that I use stated, "The psalmist insists that whether we are aware of God or not, we are known completely by God to whom, as the Book of Common Prayer puts it, 'all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid." (Feasting on the Word, 248.)
To be known so completely can at one time be comforting and also somewhat scary. For God know me completely warts and all. He knows not only the good parts which I present outwardly but also the inner thoughts, feelings, and acts. Knowing all of this God still wants to know me not just for only good but wants me completely. And though as I strive for perfection, I am aware that God continues to work within me and surrounds me. When you pair this up with Samuel hearing the voice of God, I realize that God wants me to come to Him and to listen to where he wants me to go. Even though I am not preaching from the Gospel this week we could look at Nathaniel's call. The question is what needs to happen to us to hear God speak knowing that God knows us and calls to us?

1 comment:

Joan's Good Life said...

THAT is the question I've been asking myself...